Jan 26, 2011

pita bread pizza

After a long weekend in Utah (and let's be honest, a long, rowdy holiday season), I'm ready to get back to eating right and being healthy. This super easy recipe was inspired by something I saw in the newest Vegetarian Times. Of course, their recipe was way classier with roasted red peppers, and fresh herbs, but this week I'm just looking for quick, healthy and easy, so this is my pauper version.

Stuff you need: 1. Whole wheat pita rounds 2. Olive oil 3. Pizza sauce 4. Cheese (or vegan cheese) 5. Spices & toppings (I used onions and red bell pepper)

Start by preheating your oven to 400. While the oven is warming up, place the pita round on a baking sheet and assemble your pizza to your liking. On top of the crust, brush olive oil, and then put sauce, cheese, and your veggies, meat substitute and/or spices (I really like herbs de provence, salt, and pepper).

When the oven is hot and the pizza is ready, pop the pita in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the pita is golden.
That's it. A seriously delicious meal assembled and cooked in less than 20 minutes! What's also nice, is that the combination possibilities are endless- any veggie, fruit, or fake meat toppings, vegan or regular cheeses, white, red, or pesto sauces, any spice you got in your cabinet- man I love pizza! This is DEFINITELY a meal that I'll add to the dinner staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment