May 14, 2011

tostada pizzas

This is the first time in my life that I've ever lived on my own, and grocery shopping for one is definitely interesting. I'm finding out that food sticks around a lot longer when it's just me, which means when I make a big pot of soup, I eat soup for 12 straight meals. Hm. I need to 1. learn to utilize the freezer and 2. get more creative with my leftovers and large quantity ingredients.

This is the situation I have found myself in with pasta sauce. I have some Newman's Own hanging out in my fridge, and a person can eat only so much pasta. Thus! Tostada pizzas.

Stuff you need: 1. Corn tortillas 2. Pasta sauce 3. Cheese 4. Toppings 5. Italian Seasoning 6. Olive oil

Turn your oven to broil, and while it's warming up, fry up your corn tortillas in a skillet with a splash of olive oil so they're a little crispy. Slice up your toppings, and shred your cheese, and when everything is ready, assemble your wee pizzas. Top the tortillas with sauce, then shredded cheese (I had monterey jack), then your veggie toppings (I used tomatoes), then more cheese (I used parmesan), and finally some Italian seasoning sprinkled over the whole deal.

Pop it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melty and devour!

I think the corn tortilla was a really nice flavor for the pizza, and it was perfectly crispy and easy to just pop in your mouth! It also came together super fast and totally hit the spot for my gin hangover. Double score.

I will definitely be thinking more creatively towards my ingredients. In fact, Food Network has 50 fun ideas for your pasta sauce. I personally like it over polenta, over steamed broccoli and white beans, and now on creative pizzas too! Lotsa pasta sauce? No problem :)

No comments:

Post a Comment